Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I been thinkin'...

'bout back in the day...
I mowed the yard yesterday...can the humidity be 200%...
Well it sure felt like it, man was it a scorcher...

I did my usual garden thing, knowing that the rains could no longer keep me out of it...
beans were going crazy and the rhubarb is the biggest I've ever seen...
but you've heard the term...'sweat-hog'...
OMG...I was totally drenched, TOTALLY dripping with lil' rivers running torrents over every surface...GEESH...get me to the shower!!!

Can you imagine farming the land all day, building fences, caring for livestock, butchering livestock, traveling cross country in a wagon, then living in a tent city...

Which brings me to my point...
showers...
Can you imagine what it was like back in the day...
Hollywood sure had us fooled, showing women with perfectly coiffed hair, beautifully pressed dresses, stuffed into fancy, flattering corsets...
can you imagine living in Florida and having to wear a corset and long skirts...
I can only imagine how miserable it would've been in the humidity...
eeeeeeeeee...

What conditions our ancestors lived with out on the plains, can you imagine...
living in shacks, cramped quarters, VERY close to the person next to you...ewwww...
I don't know about you, but I was a lil' pig when I was a child, can you imagine having no tub or running water to wash your kids at the end of the day...

As rustic as you like to live, it's nothing like what they dealt with 'back in the day'...
Washing clothes on a rock by a stream must've been a real luxury.
Imagine having your first pitcher pump installed in your house...
LUXURY!!!

So today as the temperature rises and I recover from the tornado siren that shot me straight outta bed at 4:15 this mornin',
I'm workin' in the AC today
and will enjoy the luxury of my shower at the end of it...
and will be thankful that I live in the now,
not 'back in the day'...

11 comments:

Gatherings said...

Yah for that one! When you are that bad nothing is better than a good shower and some of your soap! Got my new batches yesterday! Thanks W

Spadoman said...

I always wonder about such things. Think of eating the same thing every day. Beans and bisquits, or bisquits and beans? I think everyone smelled bad, so it was expected and accepted. You are correct, Hollyweird has us all fooled, but I am turned on by the idea of sweat. When I was a kid, I was outside so much I was stained with the earth. I loved the little girls with the dirty faces and desheveled hair.
Some day I'll tell you about my travels down to Clarks Hill, South Carolina. I visited friends there and was shown where they did their laundry by the little creek that runs by, and that was as recent as the 1970's, on washboards and bar soap.
The good old days. Sometimes, I wish that's where I was now, even without A/C.

Peace.

willow said...

Oh, it makes me nuts when women are perfectly put together with hairspray and Maybelline in those time period films. Ack!! It's one of my pet movie peeves.

Gosh, that rhubarb looks wonderful!

Golden West said...

I agree totally - hot and cold running water is a major luxury! Easily taken for granted in this day and age, but such a blessing. It wasn't that long ago that people did without. My dad's family got their first refrigerator in the 1940s. before that, they used an "ice box".

donna baker said...

You did good Sharon. Are you now going to freeze or can? I picked my first green beans and cukes last eve. Bent over, with sweat blinding me, I walked around for an hour with dirt up to my shins. I am seriously thinking of letting the whole thing go. It is just too hot (100 degrees)and the weeds are growing the best. I've been doing it for 30 years and I think I might just go to the farmer's market. This old gray mare ain't what she used to be.

Nank said...

If you don't mind some REALLY foul language and VERY ADULT situations and EXTREME violence you should watch "Deadwood"! It's a cable series that now shows exclusively on DirecTV on 101. If you don't have that you can rent it. It is THEEE most AUTHENTIC depiction of the old west I have ever witnessed. I can't hardly even watch a western anymore after having watched it. The acting is unsurpassed by any other show. NOT Hollywooded up in any way. Give it a shot. I am no prude by any stretch but it did take me about 4 episodes to get past the graphic nature but I did it because I LOVE quality.

T said...

I think about that when watching such movies. I think hot weather, walking all those miles yet the womens hair, clothes are perfect. I can not imagine wearing all that clothing - I don't think I would of survived very long! Yes, we are so fortunate to have the luxury we do. Enjoy working inside today.

summersundays-jw said...

I hung sheets on the line today & about croaked. We're also battling Japanese Beetles right now so had to go out & knock them off the green beans. Do you have them yet in Iowa? If not, watch out!!! We've had them about 5 yrs. now & they'll just strip everything if you don't control them. Don't know where they came from but they're a real problem -- & they're headed north (I told them to go see my friend Sharon if they make it to Iowa). Stay cool! Jan

suzeeez said...

I am sooooooo with you on those thoughts. As bad as I think the heat is now , I'm glad I live in my little old house (1891) with luxury of occilating fans ! lol
Also a nice cool shower, no pool here ! I don't know how those people endured.
Sue

time-worn interiors said...

What is it with you and the twisters sis?
Theresa

High Desert Diva said...

Indoor plumbing/Running water....nothing quite as luxurious.