Monday, November 10, 2008

Mysteries of the Orient






Not a lot of people like oriental art, a thing of the 60's and 70's, but I have always had a thing for it. I think it's just the whole mystery of the land that fascinates me. To take a landscape and miniaturize it with cork cutouts, just goes beyond my imagination. Every once in a while I will find a piece to add to my collection and I just stare in awe at the artistry. I love to surround myself with such intricate beauty and perhaps envision the landscape of Japan or perhaps Malaysia. Japan and China hold the real fascination for me though, the painted landscapes, the customs, the warrior history of the past and opera and musical instruments...oh my...too much fascination to get into.


But this is some of my collection that I just can't seem to part with...as many of my collections have gone by the wayside, to be replaced with new addictions. But what fun to have and to not have...that is the question...what to collect next. Right now it's old beads and vintage fabrics, damask and velvets...sound like a project in the making...aye!

8 comments:

trash talk said...

I am a secret lover of oriental. Your collection is gorgeous. I'll keep on the lookout for pieces like this. You don't see them much anymore. Must be more secret lovers than just me! Tn'T

white o'morn cottage said...

I love those. I have a jewellery box with a shadow box on lid and those cork cutouts in it. Fascinates me!

High Desert Diva said...

I didn't realize it was cork... interesting. I like the little cases they're in...


Damask & velvet, huh? Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

M.Kate said...

wow Sharon, what a collection!! All so beautiful and intricate, you must be collecting them for a long time. YOu should go to China, they have tons of these at good prices. I wont part with any of them if I had them too :D

willow said...

Fabulous and unique collection, Sharon! I have a thing, for it, too. I have some keepsakes that I brought back from Japan years ago when I went in the '70's and WT got some nice things when he was in China.

trash talk said...

I've got a Kreative Blogger award waiting on my blog for you. I had to because of your wonderful photos and poetry. Deb

cconz said...

sharon, i look at cork art a whole new way!! i've seen them hear and there, but, never really gave them much thought. But, none were as nice as yours. You have a grand collection that stopped me in my tracks, when i saw them.

lulu Redstar & Lauri Evans said...

OMG...that is gorgeous! I have a small piece of DOUBLE_SIDED embroidery from China (silk). You cannot tell which side is the 'good side'!!!!!
Amazing country & people. The Xian Warriors(terracotta soliders) are in Atlanta until early Spring. I think this is the 1st time they've been out on loan outside of China. I saw them in 1997 and they ARE AWESOME....plan a trip to ATLANTA and see 2 of the world's most amazing sights: Warriors & chippys
ox lulu

We awarded you too for Kreative BLogger..ox