Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Old homes in my Burg...










Let the drooling begin...these wonderful, old river city, architectural masterpieces grace the bluff overlooking the Mighty Mississippi River. This is our version of Knob Hill. These grand Victorians tell of a time when homes were status and a graceful, romantic period had taken over in the states...the Victorian era.


Our little village once hummed with the clang of trolleys and people swarming the storefronts, they would've rivaled even downtown Chicago. A vast sea of people wondering the streets, horse-drawn buggies and Model T's clambering for a space to park. Grand hotels, opera houses, saloons and brothels(ahem), industry, mercantile and banks on every corner and riverboats crowding the riverfront. Oh, the wonderful buildings I have seen raised in my lifetime...the 60's were brutal on old architecture.


Where has it all gone, thanks to a preservation society, many old structures are being renovated. But alas...the traffic has moved on, more money to be made elsewhere, yet we stay...loving the slow city life of the small, Midwestern burgs.

17 comments:

willow said...

These are beauties! And I bet there are a few resident ghosts among them, too. The last one reminds me a little of the Psycho house! ;^)

nonizamboni said...

Gorgeous homes! And a quick return visit to your blog only enforces my view that you are very talented and eclectic in your interests :O)
Have a lovely week.
p.s. loved your b & w photos!

summersundays-jw said...

Loved these houses & they look like someone is taking good care of them. They must sit high enough that they weren't affected by the flooding this spring.

M.Kate said...

Beautiful homes Sharon...I wont be seeing anything close over here :D

BrookeAhanaDaily said...

Love your website and blog (found through High Desert Diva!) I'm adding to my favorite creative people on my bog. Your necklace on HDD is just beautiful!

Sandra Evertson said...

Amazing old house! Just really beautiful!
Sandra Evertson

Steph said...

You make me want to go out and take pictures!

Greyscale Territory said...

These buildings are just magnificent! I am really partial to the white ones!

High Desert Diva said...

Wowzer!

Roses and Lilacs said...

Love those old houses! Wonderful windows, huge moldings, odd shaped rooms... Love everything about them.
Marnie

Shab-n-Chic said...

That last home took my breath away! Do I see wooden poles supporting the roof on the one side of the house?

Hocking Hills Gardener said...

The old houses are so beautiful. THe workmanship that goes into them are unbelievable. I am so glad that they have been kept up or restored. They are a part of all our history.

MuseSwings said...

I am drooling - can't decide between the fist four or the second four! Beautiful!

Utah Grammie said...

My goodness- such beauty and history - and you took such great photos - makes me drool for a minute..until I think about dusting that size house!

Richie's 2ts Inspires said...

How I wish to live in the 6th house. Ghost or no ghost, fine for me.

They're adorable.

Have a great w/end!

Join my game in my site.

Tea Time With Melody said...

Thank you for sharing these wonderful historic homes. How I would love to tour each and every one of them!

Janine said...

What beautiful places, so comfortable with their own character and place in time. How lovely to be able to just pass by!