Saturday, November 22, 2008

Shadow of Toil...Shadow Shot Sunday

As a room apart,
this world of mayhem
steps not into this pantry.
A room of orderly chaos,
simple necessity abounds...
tater smashers
and griddles
and queen of the cache,
the ol' butcher knife
and cleaver to slice...
all standing sentinel
and ready to pace.
As dialogs of wit
and gossip to share,
report current events
of news from afar,
well, the farm 'cross the glen...
well, as the crow flies,
each tells the tale
as I work through the day...
not the laborer scorned,
but the the Mother of faith,
soul of the hearth,
the keeper of calm.
I lean toward the man
of the union,
the mate,
the keeper of peace
the rock of my strength.
This fragile realm of soft kisses
and touch,
meeting hands rough
'gainst frail hopeful brow.
Your strengths, my companion,
are my strengths, as well,
in this room in this hearth,
this room that is family...
this room that is faith.



Shadow Shot Sunday is upon us again, check out Hey, Harriet and catch all the other shadows...there's some neat stuff over there, join us won't you...



20 comments:

Hey Harriet said...

Oh gosh is this your kitchen? It's filled with so much cool stuff! So filled, I can't see where you would prepare food! Great shot! I love the shadow lines across the red thingy on the shelf :)

RainbowMom said...

Wow! What a kitchen.. what a shadow shot and what a poem.

Greyscale Territory said...

Love the soft light streaming in creating multiple beams of shadow!

A most amazing kitchen that could almost be a museum of stories I feel! O wow!

paisley said...

totally cool kitchen... makes me feel like making hot chocolate.....

High Desert Diva said...

I'd like everything in the room, please.

Love this:
"...tater smashers and griddles and queen of the cache..."

Rosebud Collection said...

Wonderful poem/picture of shadows..
What great things in this shot..I tell you, we are really getting clever with this shadow business..

M.Kate said...

Great shot and so many things, is that how it is on a daily basis?

Pagan Sphinx said...

Beautiful kitchen. I love the many touches of red. I love the shadows. I just love it; period!

Happy Shadow Sunday!

Lily Hydrangea said...

beautiful shadows. I love how you refer to Iowa as the lost continent!
You have a great sense of humor.

Alissa Nicolau said...

Great space. Plenty of yummy things could be whipped up in this shadow space.

Lisa B. said...

Wonderful warm inviting kitchen...and always lovely words!

Dianne said...

so many treasures!!

willow said...

What a charming, cozy kitchen! I love it!! It's true, the kitchen is the heart of the house. Wonderful poem.

maryt/theteach said...

Certainly a big enough kitchen for me. Everything has a place and everything in it's place... :)

The Summer Kitchen Interiors said...

Sharon - can we come sit a spell? What a lovely kitchen, poem and lots of fun shadows!
The **** has come - already - it is not fair!! Here we go!!
Enjoy your week!

Janine said...

Light and colour - WOW!

This is such an inviting photo - a whole lot more than good composition, colour and light. It makes me want to be there.

Thanks for visiting my blog and your encouraginc comments. I'm so glad I found yours and your wonderful shop web page. If I lived in the USA I'd be paying you a visit :)

Jill said...

Oh I love the picture, the shadow, the kitchen or pantry, the antiques, and the poem. Really, very nice!

Twinkle Star Art said...

I love the contrasting colours and shadows. Your place has so much character. Cheers, Amanda

FCP said...

Nice shadow shot--also love the photos of the old homes--wow what a rich history they must hold.
Faye

Gina said...

Such a welcoming kitchen! Lovely shadows and words :D