Friday, July 24, 2009

Of red hats and a summer morn...

The Red Hat Society girls...you can spot 'em a mile away...matriarchs flaunting their love of life, giggling and joking their way into your heart...free spirits. Some widowed, some divorced, some happily married to the loves of their lives, all women living life to it's fullest...fulfilling a summer's day trip...in high society style...

Mmmmm....corn on the cob and fresh cherry tomatoes...since this portion of the plantation has never been planted and the soil worked over, my ears are quite small...but boy do they scream IOWA...oozing with butter and salt, a fare fit for a queen...and cherry tomaters is about all I will get out of my 6 plants that I planted this year, due to heavy rains and little scorching heat...but not complaining, I love fried green tomaters...I love summer...

A sit in the sun on the porch of our home, my lil' furry heathen will grab any chance to sit with 'Mom' and guard her kingdom from on high...not allowed to wander the tall prairie grass for vermin right now, due to her grass and mold allergies, she is content to sit a spell and enjoy summer's heat till the cows come home...

Those lazy, hazy dayz that we all want to last forever...are limited you know...as fall progresses and we start to squirrel away for the coming cold...enjoy each day, each hour, each minute...a day in the life...till the cows come home...

11 comments:

Lori R. said...

Hi Scratchy and Sharon,,, I think of hazy, lazy days of summer, but it is more like rushed and crazy days of summer! Stopped by the Shed yesterday for a fix. Won't be back in until next week. Thanks for the White pic. Looks like the color red and purple could be spotted a mile away! I'm going to get that way one of these days! Are the willows calling you yet? We'll catch up when I see ya....

Suzanne said...

How is it that I did not find this blog sooner!

I am transfixed and suitably motivated to write now. Thank you thank you.

Suzanne

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Tomatoes and corn—
scintillating summer feast
for eyes and palate.

summersundays-jw said...

The corn & tomatoes look delicious. Nothing like good ole Ioway corn but sorry, Mo. has the best tomatoes. Maybe we could meet halfway & share a meal. Seems summer is slipping by so quickly & I'm not taking time to appreciate it. Every week I say I'm slowing down but the outside world just won't seem to let me. Have a good weekend. Jan

time-worn interiors said...

I know first hand just how sweet and juicy those little ears of corn are! They are lip smackin good! And they are so cuuttteeee.....Theothertheresa

Greyscale Territory said...

Love the nostalgia in this post!

I find corn waving in the field so romantic! But, I hate to say, I can't eat corn! I have no idea why, but for all its romantic magic, when it comes to the crunch of eating it, I cringe!

I so love tomatoes! Yet I have never eaten fried green ones!

Jean Tuthill said...

I love corn and tomatoes. It's been a very cold and rainy spring and summer for us so far, so ours are all late this year. I can't wait, nothing like home grown veggies.

Golden West said...

Your little scruffy pooch is sweet, passing the time on the porch with you - happy summer days!

The Attic said...

I like your horseshoe over the doorway but the hay hook scares me a little...hahaha That's a BIG one! Store is lookin full! Sure wish I could scrounge through it all.

sarayutouched said...

standing ovation here!!!!

storyteller at Sacred Ruminations said...

It's been a long time since I've joined my Red Hat sisters for an outing. You've made me want to head out in search of sweet corn ... just because ;--)
Hugs and blessings,