Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Remember...

Remember my lil' shadow shot picture of my fledgling corn patch...

Well...this is what it looked like after the straight-line winds went through before a nasty thunderstorm a few weeks back...

Well, since my cup is always half full, I diligently went out and stood each stalk back up...now mind you, if this was 300 acres, that wouldn't have happened...but I have never grown corn before. The 'X' always said it takes up too much room...especially when all of his friends and relatives raised sweetcorn that we can go pick anytime...I see his point, BUT...

My patch is more of an ornamental thing, kinda a privacy fence to curb the drone of the 4-lane in my back yard and give me the privacy that I crave until the money comes in to continue building my privacy fence.

But...if I should get a few ears of sweet Iowa corn, I'll be happy as a lark...plus this is the area that was trenched for the septic system, so it will have to be prepped anyway...so hopefully the storms will stay at bay for a while anyway. It's something we are getting used to in the heartland, the ever increasing storms of extreme destruction.

Global warming perhaps....

11 comments:

Lori R. said...

I'm impressed that you were able to remedy the wind and rain destruction. Looking Good!!!

willow said...

Oh, that Iowa corn is legendary! mmm-mmm.

High Desert Diva said...

You are so very diligent...your corn looks great. My grandma always said corn needed to be "knee high by the 4th of July".....looks like you've passed that by and will have corn in no time!

Roses and Lilacs said...

Good job standing it back up, I'm kind of surprised it stayed that way;) Hope we don't get another storm like that one altho we could use a little rain right now.
Marnie

cconz said...

Oh, your poor corn! I can't wait til i get my hands on some buttered corn on the cob. This weather is so extreme. what's in our future, girl.

sarayutouched said...

YIKES!!! i am surprise that it rebounded so nicely. sorry about the demon in the sky...things like that are what's causing your straight line winds...

M.Kate said...

Guess you will be having endless supply of corn from now on..and to straighten them up one by one..wow, you are one patient person :P

Utah Grammie said...

I simply ADORE your "can-do" attitude! SO, sista, keep that glass half-full to overflowing - and have a happy and safe 4th of July!

Chris said...

Glad that it recovered!

I was spoiled by my grandmother's farm and her silver queen corn as a kid in the summer.

Now my favorite corn is slathered with lime rind, butter, and chili powder. Wrap the shucks back up and wrap with foil. Grill 20 minutes at 375 turning every 5 min. Unwrap foil. 10 more minutes turning every 2 1/2 min.

mmmmmmm Yummy stuff. If'n you see someone in your corn, don't worry, it's just little ol' me :)

Greyscale Territory said...

You are a wonderful battler! I so admire your inner strength! Inspiring!

donna baker said...

Guess what? The corn will stand back up itself. It has done it many times on my farm. I usually freeze it on the cob, but it takes up too much room. So, I now cut it off the cob and freeze in packages of 1 or 2 cups. I grown Kandy Korn. This year I'm growing some Cherokee corn that was brought from the east on the trail of tears. They sell it in burlap bags of 10 seed at the Cherokee Heritage Center in Talequah, OK.