Friday, January 2, 2009

ALIVE...IT'S ALIVE...IT'S ALIVE....

The other night I was watching Mel Brooks interpretation of Mary Shelly's 'Frankenstein'...no it's Fronkensteen...you know with Marty Feldman as Igor...no it's Eyegor...what a timeless piece of buffoonery...
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Igor, would you mind telling me whose brain I did put in?
Igor: And you won't be angry?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: I will NOT be angry.
Igor: Abby someone.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Abby someone. Abby who?
Igor: Abby Normal.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Abby Normal?
Igor: I'm almost sure that was the name.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?
[shakes and grabs him]
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: IS THAT WHAT YOU'RE TELLING ME?

One line that always cracked me up quoted by the late great Madeline Kahn..."no tongues"...don't know why, but that has always hit a tone with me. But I'm always drawn into the movie whenever I see it on the movie channel, just for the timeless lines and the wonderful slapstick, tongue in cheek comedy of Mel Brooks.

But the reason I mention this is, I finally got a phone call from my Grandson last night at 5:00, he had just gotten up. Ohhhh the relief...then I got to hear the stories of what a blast he had and how great his friends were to watch after him and not let him drive anywhere...as he tries to put the night back together again, bits and pieces at a time, they all come into focus.

But I thought this shot of 'the Monster' perfectly fit the image of what I believe he looked and felt like at the time of the phone call...I'm taking him to lunch today...to get all the gory details...ha...I wouldn't relive those days again for anything...

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Love is the only thing that can save this poor creature, and I am going to convince him that he is loved even at the cost of my own life. No matter what you hear in there, no matter how cruelly I beg you, no matter how terribly I may scream, do not open this door or you will undo everything I have worked for. Do you understand? Do not open this door.
Inga: Yes, Doctor.
Igor: Nice working with ya.
[Dr. Frederick Frankenstein goes into the room with The Monster. The Monster wakes up]
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Let me out. Let me out of here. Get me the hell out of here. What's the matter with you people? I was joking! Don't you know a joke when you hear one? HA-HA-HA-HA. Jesus Christ, get me out of here! Open this goddamn door or I'll kick your rotten heads in! Mommy!