Friday, January 16, 2009

Beautiful books...







The wonderful world of books...can you imagine a world where people were persecuted for the knowledge they possessed, just the owning of books could threaten your very existence. Libraries of historical books sacked and burned throughout history. What was MAN thinking...how bizarre were the thoughts of the day, how medieval and cruel history has been to the masses.


Even today free speech is often taunted by governments, even here in the 'land of the free'...you don't even want to mention the word terrorist, for fear of landing your innocent butt in some confinement compound...that doesn't exist...being tortured to admit what you haven't the foggiest idea of what they may want...what secrets you hide in the pages of a book...tell me who is this agent Harry Potter???


But I feel fortunate that I can pick up a book anytime, usually at Good Will or an antique shop and not feel threatened by the pages I'm reading. But there were times in this current administration that I felt Homeland Security could break into my home at any time and ravage my larder of books, hiding secrets written by Poe or Byron...what of Shakespeare...surely he was conjuring up conspiracies en mass. Aniis Nin...surly she was a witch, pagan in her writings...BURN HER...I am prompted to the Monty Python movie, can't remember which one, 'how do you know she's a witch...cause she looks like one!!!'...HA!
But today, since I have very little time to sit and read, I buy books for their covers, how they look in a setting for the shop, great colors and patinas, waterlogged, wrinkled pages, all great finds for the look of the decorator.
But a little book of poetry has a hard time finding it's way to my stores, when it fits perfectly well in my collections...waiting that stray moment that I can sit and indulge on a sunny day...to read and imagine.

16 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

You've got a lovely collection. I love the cast iron bath tub legs used as book ends!

You and Willow must be on 'the same page' today.

Perhaps a book post is in my future, too...

Roses and Lilacs said...

Good morning Sharon. Interesting post. I recently read a history of the bible. It was punishable by death to own a bible during the Dark Ages when the church ran amuck.

Books like Tarzan were once pulled from libraries as too vulgar.

When 'seriously moral' people like our last administration declare they are in charge of our spirituality, we are in big trouble. The Dark Ages are still alive and well in other countries. Always pushing at the vulnerable places in our society.
Marnie

trash talk said...

I have a trove of books as well(must be a secret vice of a lot of us). The covers are as beautiful as the words inside. I covet the copy of Poe's in the first photo. Gorgeous!!! Tn'T

larkspur said...

Love the new header. Yes, old books, with their elegant covers, are always a great find. I love to do a quick rubbing of a cover, frame it, then share this beauty with a friend.

white o'morn cottage said...

Oh, how I love books. Those phots are quite beautiful. One of lifes great pleasures. Yes, lucky us who have that freedom.

The Muse said...

A most spectacular and romantic collection of art...those books! My goodness the covers are divine...they are calling me to dive in and explore!

Jacque said...

Great post, you choose the best subjects to write about, I love when I acquire a vintage book and the previous owners have tucked little pieces of life in them, notes, ticket stubs, cards, and receipts, I have found many wonderful stories that way! Jacque

Linda Sue said...

So happy to have found you- adding you to my blog roll- I adore your blog and your you-ness!

cconz said...

I can't imagine a world with no books. With this computer generation, it might be the demise of the book. I would Hate reading a book on my computer!! I have a big collection of old garden books, i'll do a post later on them.Good post girl.

Maria said...

Discovered your site yesterday, haven't had time to catch up with it all but looooove your soundtrack, left your page minimized on my work computer to listen to it all day. Also I love the look, feel & smell of old books as much as reading them, provides a full compliment of sensory stimulation. My daughter expecially loves the smell, since she was little she would just hold them & smell the pages.

Raph G. Neckmann said...

I like the smell of old books too - memories of my parents' bookcase full of all kinds of treasures ... Great big art books, tiny handbooks of birds, plants and rocks and well-thumbed collections of stories.

M.Kate said...

You have a whole treasure of books there :D

The Feathered Nest said...

Oh Sharon, I love beautiful old books too...and especially love poetry books! I love the tattered ones that no one else will buy :) Have a great weekend!! You and Scratchy stay cozy and warm, xxoo, Dawn

Jeanne said...

Books that are lovely both outside and in.

NoBS said...

Those are GORGEOUS books! I'm sooo jealous!

Utah Grammie said...

Oh how I love old books! This is a wonderful collection you have here!