Friday, January 30, 2009

Other loves...my world...


Little homes of my youth...The red house was the house I spent most of my youth, where my Father lives now. It had two homes on one lot. The little gray house was where I lived as a toddler, right next door to Grammy...paradise!
Then my folks bought the little gray cottage fixer-upper, they needed way more space with a growing family, as the little house only had one bedroom, but cute as a button.

That's when my parents bought this lil' charmer.

Mind you , back in the 50's, this place was a shambles, but the price was right $5000.00. It had huge Elm trees growing all over the yard and one right up next to the house, which was soon removed. Then as time passed the dreaded Elm disease took the rest, but the little 100 plus year old cottage was paradise to me and my brother.


The back yard was pasture for the neighbors horses, though we weren't allowed to ramble that far, who knew that it would foster my love of sanctuary away from people to the country. But it was wonderfully HUGE for two wondering babes.


My Grandparents had the idea of buying up small fixer-uppers so us kids would have homes paid for to live in as adults if need be, in the meantime they would be rented. We eventually moved to my Grandparents home place, the red shingled house, when they made the move to Florida. That place was to be my home until I eventually moved out.


So you can see my love of little cottages runs deep. When I moved back from Colorado, this little cottage was home till I married and moved away to the real country where I lived married for 20 years. But this little home will be willed to me some day and I'll treasure it as my own, like my lil' pink chateau. But it'll remain a rental until such a time that I need to be in the city(old age)...but the little pink shack is my world...for now...