Tuesday, January 13, 2009

And what exactly is a white-out???





What...
A white-out you ask...that's when you look across the street and it isn't there. The one time you can truly enjoy living remotely, it gives the illusion of being the only person on the block. Traffic comes to a stand-still, as people hunker down and stay home to await it's demise.


I have to laugh remembering a comment my Brother once made, as he moved back after 35 years in sunny California, what is the matter with people back here in Iowa, they freak out when the weather forecasts a storm...well, he now joins the group of freaks from Iowa that take note rather than take flight. This is serious stuff, you pay attention and have provisions at hand, you never know what any storm could turn into...monsters lurking to turn driving into an impossibility, loss of power in frigid, single digit degrees, loss of food source for wildlife and farm animals, people stranded, white-knuckled in their cars afraid to move 'cause they can't see the road anymore.


Something we natives take very serious...I'm just glad I don't have to walk to the outhouse...as much as I want to reduce my footprint on the planet...that is one I'm inclined not to sacrifice. Although at times, the toilet seats get mighty ugly...right TOT...HA!

17 comments:

CatHerder said...

Great pics..love the doggie...we are due wind chills of -4 to -20 friday and saturday...we are SO not used to that!!! I used to have a two seater outhouse (built late 1800's then updated) but we used it as a tool shed...i have an affinity for the things...i think theyre so cool...but im glad i have indoor plumbing lol!

willow said...

I had to laugh out loud when I slowly scrolled down to the last picture! What a face!! Thanks for the smiles. Stay safe in that pea soup air.

Shayla said...

Beautiful photos. Thanks for the tour in the earlier post too.

I used to work at a historical reinactment site and can say that the only modern convenience I would seriously resent not having is indoor plumbing.

Roses and Lilacs said...

Here on the plains we all hear the stories or farmers gone to the barn to milk the cows becoming lost in a blizzard whiteout never to be found 'til the spring thaws. Ropes run from house to outhouse to barn to chicken coops so you could find your way back in a blizzard.

I've been on the road during these Alberta Clippers when 50-mph winds drive swirling snow and visibility is zero. Very, very scary.
Marnie

High Desert Diva said...

Brrrr.

Scratchy looks happy though.

time-worn interiors said...

You know it Sis! Hah! Hah!
Theresa

Jacque said...

Wow, you hear about it on the news but to see people really living in it! I have lived in Sunny California my entire life and know nothing of this world you speak of. Your pictures are beautiful and love the doggie! Stay warm and safe. Jacque

Old Crow Farm said...

Another Iowa native here! Brrrrr it's going to be cold this week. I love it when you can't see your own barn. Its a wall of white. Stay warm.jojo

white o'morn cottage said...

Love that beard!...and the soundtrack is such a treat. Thanks so much...Pam

trash talk said...

The pink chateau against the white looks like a special effects shot- Like when all the color is taken out of a photograph except for maybe one thing. It's beautiful but a little scary as well. Good thing you've got your trusty Scratchy! Tn'T

cconz said...

well sharon, it was'nt bad enough to stay home from work, DAMIT!!! maybe next time. Bill says he would love to have an outhouse. so, he doesn't have to come to the house when he's in the barn. Right now he has an old jug w/ a hose hooked up that runs thru a hole outside. homemade urinal.

ajunkqueen said...

Gotta love that face,I was greeted at the door by mine after being gone for 4 days he was glad to see me. I once lived in Illinois, I got my first winter coat then, texas can be blistering, but you dont have to shovel much here!
PS used your hint one of them on posting thanks..
Renee

Raph G. Neckmann said...

I have never experienced this extreme weather - sounds very scary!

Your pink chateau looks great. It's such a wonderful feeling, isn't it, to go for the house that kind of speaks to you!

Utah Grammie said...

Oh my! What a cutie- even with his snow-covered beard! Hope he's fairing well in the cold. And you take care- although it looks beautiful (and I love the photos) I know how serious these winters can be.

Take heart- spring will come and your darling pink cottage is a beacon of hope!

Lisa B. said...

Can we start counting the days till spring yet?!

Greyscale Territory said...

I was only 13 when I went to Mount Kosciusko in southern NSW with a school group. Our guide expected a white out that day and made us all tie a long rope round ourselves that linked us to the next person. We thought it was so funny.

But come late afternoon and we were very grateful. I literally could not see the person in front of me. Scarey stuff! The whole experience lasted about 3 hours and then suddenly seemed to melt away into night darkness!

Love Scratchy's icy beard! Very cute!

The Red Door Antiques said...

I love that mug shot!