Monday, January 12, 2009

Let's take a walk...would you live here...










Are you insane...was the question asked by my Dad when I drove him down to see the ramshackle house of my dreams. Well, not actually, my dream house would set way back in the woods on a lake, with no neighbors close at hand....but we know how that story goes.


But at the time, I wanted a little shop at the edge of town, I'm two miles out, so this was perfect...well his idea of perfect and my idea of perfect, well you know the rest of the story. The Pink Chateau was purchased.


Far from pink at that time, it was a drab brown, totally my color scheme, but my Daughter suggested painting it pink for the shop, hence the pink sign, Friend's Candle Shed. But I loved working in the house so much, the urge to live there was greater than the need to have a shop in it. So we eventually moved the shop to the city into the original Candle Shed and I was free to play out my fantasy.


A walk in my winter gardens leaves much to the imagination, but many of the gardens were left by the Grandmother that lived there before. Ancient tractor tires graced the gardens back in the day and would be shunned by most modern homemakers, but I find it so original to many old homesteads on the prairie, that I can't force myself to part with them. They're a part of middle class farm life in America. Most spent tractor tires were rolled into ditches or piled in the back forty somewhere.


But this intrepid homemaker planted sedum and violas in hers, to which some of the original plants remain and are fancied right alongside the rest. I shun mowing the grasses because of the wildlife and the pollution issues, but digging seedlings and pullin' weeds is a must, allowing the natural prairie forbs to exist on the sand(river bottom) plains in this lil' pink house surrounded by a Grandmothers bright purple iris.


When purchased, there was only a main two-lane highway in front of the house, but a new four-lane was being built...SOON. So the views of the fields behind my house were soon to be only a memory, however, the very busy 2-lane in front, would be abandoned to a service road, which is why I enjoy sitting on my porch, gazing at my six acres, a pie-shaped wedge in between two strips of asphalt...my testiment to Nature, a sanctuary of scrub for the fauna that once roamed freely on the plains, before the asphalts scared her surface.


So way more wooden fencing will shelter my views as time passes, shutting me away from the hustle of man in my lil' pink shack on the prairie...I feel a childrens book coming on...

22 comments:

M.Kate said...

Sharon, you seem to have the priveledge of having lots of land..something urban dwellers like us will never have. I'd love to live with lots of empty space too and your house looks lovely :D

willow said...

Your pink house is so charming. I didn't realize you bought it with a shop in mind. Pink is perfect. And yes, it would make a delightful children's book!! Do!!

trash talk said...

A pink island in a sea of chaos. Just lovely. Tn'T P.S. And yes, I would.

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Sharon, I love that your Dad's questioned your sanity!! But you did it anyway, good for you. It looks perfectly cozy and wonderful.
xo Lidy

Wish on a Whisker said...

It's a wonderful place! ~Mandy

ajunkqueen said...

love the sounds of nature, love your writing.
A new litter of Carin's are ready?
I am having to rethink a puppy again...

ajunkqueen said...

Do you mean she itches? We once had a Bassett who was allergic to grass and every tree, we started her on a product that added amino acids and stuff to her food, we have Zoobie on it also i can get the address for you, if you want to try it.

The Junkin' Yaya said...

LOVE it!!! (minus the cold :)...once a southerner always a southerner. LOL

I can see how one can get a lot of creating done here! By the way, always look for my red tail...you will know what I mean! :)

xo...deb

larkspur said...

The Pink Chateau reminds me of an antique rose bush thriving on the old farmstead....

Roses and Lilacs said...

I've always thought you have a very charming house. I didn't realize it was destined to be a shop. Too bad it doesn't have outbuildings for a summer shop. That would be handy.
Marnie

cconz said...

i agree with larkspur, your little place reminds me of a old shrub rose on an old farmstead. perfect!

Tracy said...

Such a cute place, I would love it...

The Junkin' Yaya said...

Me again...hehehe

I still have not figured out how to send you an email when you comment on the blog...so, I either post here or post back to you on my blog??? any help here would be appreciated! :) (I left you a comment back on my blog)

xo...deb

Greyscale Territory said...

What I would give for some land ~ just a little. But that could mean moving from my mountain by the sea! Nah! Too much to ask! So now I pretend I have land because at the back of my house facing the sea I have no fences for 3 house properties!

Loved how your purchase of Sweet repose evolved!

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

Sharon, I'd move into your little piece of Heaven in a heart beat...as long as it was in Texas!! Pink color and all. I wonder how much it would cost to move your house to Texas? Awe never mind, maybe I'll just come for a visit!

Lisa B. said...

Oh I would so live there! I love it that it's a wild place!!
I hope we'll be the first to know when the book is published:)

High Desert Diva said...

oh yes!

paisley said...

you bet i would,,, and i have never even been there... i love my little old house... its not pink,, and sure could use a new coat of paint and some cleanup,,, but its mine and i love it....

Tessa said...

Oh, dream house. Absolutely!

Jeanne said...

I love the pink chateau....

I live in a house on the edge of one of the most violent cities in the U.S. When I bought it, I'd been out of state for a few years and didn't realized how much the city had devolved.

BUT, across the street lies a 7-acre mini-farm, and on summer mornings I can sit on my porch and watch the two horses that live there graze and hear the crow of the rooster.

As a trade-off, it's worth it.

white o'morn cottage said...

I have rusty old farm machinery tossed about behind my cottage and you know what? I like 'em. It used to be a farm in the old days and a weavers cottage before that. That's not junk...it's history!

Utah Grammie said...

You're darned tootin I'd live there - I think it's beautiful and I sooo respect you for taking your dream and making it a reality! And, I LOVE the pink!