Thursday, April 24, 2008

To paint or not to paint...


You know, it's a funny world out there in the land of shop owning. This great little buffet has been a sleeper at two shops now. It is adorable, so small, with a great finish, but it just won't sell...what's a girl to do??? I reflect back on a piece, a Victorian chest of drawers with a beautiful serpentine mirror, had it for two years and a no sale. Beautiful refinished golden oak, but dated...soooo, I took the plunge and forced myself to paint it white, doubled the price AND...you guessed it, sold the very next day. I really don't like to be put in this position, but when you know the piece will sell if you paint it white...what is the big deal. The big deal is I can hear every man on the planet scream..."NO, don't paint the wood." Like I ever listened to 'THEM' anyway...but again, it would look great in MY house. Do I sacrifice my own love of this vintage patina or do I fold to the masses(us girls) and paint it white...this is hurting my brain!!!

3 comments:

Shab-n-Chic said...

Hey Sharon! Paint it..your brain will thank you! My friend and I share a shop and I think there might be 3 natural wood pieces in there that have been sitting for 6 months. I thought shabby chic might be on the way out, but that is what sells! I prefer old painted pieces myself, but I'm, sure someone will love that piece once painted. Have fun :)

Charmingdesigns said...

I grew up with a dad that made oak furniture.."NEVER paint wood!"..I think I rebelled somewhere along the line...I paint everything!! lol. Laurie

Little Brown Sparrow said...

I'm going to be a voice of dissent in the masses! (What else is new.) I grew up with a Dad who is a master restorer- we used to inherit all the Victorian furniture that had been painted lime green and lurid blue and yes, white too! Dad would spend hours stripping it back to the original wood. I've also been taking a list of all the 19th century furniture in the museum here that was painted brown- how anyone comes up with the notion that 19th cent. furniture doesn't look 19th century till you paint it brown!

(Real) brown furniture will have it's time again, and it's still valued now (maybe more here in Australia where something 100 years old is rare), but perhaps you should pass it along to an auction house or something where it will fetch a price in the right market. It works both ways I think- I remember in the 80s how I hated all those 'doing up old junk' books because they'd take some wonderful, chippy old cupboard and paint it faux-marble! Oh how I cried...