Thursday, April 24, 2008

To paint or not to paint...


You know, it's a funny world out there in the land of shop owning. This great little buffet has been a sleeper at two shops now. It is adorable, so small, with a great finish, but it just won't sell...what's a girl to do??? I reflect back on a piece, a Victorian chest of drawers with a beautiful serpentine mirror, had it for two years and a no sale. Beautiful refinished golden oak, but dated...soooo, I took the plunge and forced myself to paint it white, doubled the price AND...you guessed it, sold the very next day. I really don't like to be put in this position, but when you know the piece will sell if you paint it white...what is the big deal. The big deal is I can hear every man on the planet scream..."NO, don't paint the wood." Like I ever listened to 'THEM' anyway...but again, it would look great in MY house. Do I sacrifice my own love of this vintage patina or do I fold to the masses(us girls) and paint it white...this is hurting my brain!!!