Sunday, April 20, 2008

Where is she now Wilson...


This goes on my tombstone daughter...OK, the reason for the nick-name is the fact that I have moved shop so many times...and for lots of reasons, mostly seeking that perfect location. Had one too in LeClaire, Iowa, at least until she sold my building...on the road again...but I have the move down to a science now. Having had a great shop in Lake Placid, Florida too, that was my most fun shop, because...after all...Florida, give me a break, if you think painting furniture in the middle of February outside was a burden...right. My Daughter back in the frigid Iowa hated my phone calls to give her a weather update...cruel, yes, but it gave me a little payback on those teenage years of sleepless nights...but my new found friend Sue from Vintage Rescue Squad had mentioned that so many of you are thinking of getting into the biz...my advise, as always, is go for it, but get used to the fact that most likely you will have to have a back-up job or a husband to make ends meet. I chose the back-up job(s), but having to shop 24-7 for your love is worth the pain of being broke all the time. It is truly a wonderful outlet for your creative soul and you are never too old to start. I have been doing this for 15 years and have weathered the ups and downs and have not regretted it at all. But in today's economy (what economy) I think that location is the key, know and research your location, just because the place is adorable doesn't mean you will have traffic and as Lorie and I found out in LeClaire, two blocks off the beaten path can be a killer.

I also have stuff in another shop, Sisters Garden, (in my posts), I have been in her shop for 14 years, we have developed a sisterhood of the soul, but we are constantly battling the economy. That is a huge issue today. Maybe with a new regime in power over us, we will have a fighting chance again. Ahhhhhhh...the days when you could paint dirt white and it would sell (to quote Barb at Sisters)...but again, we live in the conservative Midwest and people just clam up and hunker down (and take CNN to heart).

AND definitly do a blog, you meet the greatest people, Sisters of the Soul, and you are never too old or too young. At age 58 I am still going strong (out of shear stupidity) and the creativity is pouring out and always looking for the next vision. If I would've had access to a computer back in the day, what tales I could've told. It is hard to believe that when I was in my 20's we still had only 4 TV channels...ahhh, the good ol' days...

Oh yeah...notice the kickstand is down on the Harley...I'm not completely stupid...have fun...sharon