Sunday, July 20, 2008

On Safari






As dawn poked at us through the bedroom window this morning, Scratchy and I decided to go on safari. I took the camera and we headed for one of my favorite haunts, Wildcat Den State Park. Loved it as a child, I could imagine great cave beasts lurking in shadow, with curled, drooling lips with rows of razor-sharp, flesh-eating teeth, waiting for my little brother to walk by...dragging him screaming and kicking to the woods, begging for mercy never to be seen again by another human being, EVER...OK, I'm getting way too into this...that's another story.

As Scratch and I wondered the meadow filled with giant red oaks, it became apparent that WE were being stalked, wild creatures of this primal, steaming forest, eyes glued to our every move, hiding in their shadowy forest cloaks...I am ready for you big fellas...and I am armed with my trusty Canon Power Shot A530...be afraid, you are about to be Canonized and not into sainthood Bucko...

Tell me what you see, creatures of this musky, damp forest...lurking, red eyes turned skyward, statuesque, pretending not to see, but I know you're there, I have the sight. Where are you cave bear, where are you buffalo, camel and rhino, the giant wild hog and gentle deer.

I have seen you
in shadow
my trophy friends.

13 comments:

Eve said...

I am constantly amazed at the things you find with your camera. You have the soul of an artist........ And don't give it back to him either...because I am thoroughly enjoying your blog. Haha...Ive linked to you, I hope you don't mind.

white o'morn cottage said...

Love your blog. I love it so much...I have given you an award on my blog! Pop over to collect it...Pam

vikki said...

when i was just looking at the pics, my imagination was thinkin' ~ that looks like... and then git to the writing part & you saw things too! too cool! the one looks like a dodo bird with a beak. =) keep up the good work! hugs, vikki ♥

Sarah said...

Hi
This is Sarah from The world and its roses just wanted to say Hi.

Jeques said...

Great finds, sharon.

You captured them well in both your words and the lense of your camera. Great angles from nature trip seen in a different way using the child's eye in you with unlimited imagination.

I wish you well.

~ Jeques

Greyscale Territory said...

Just fascinating! Like fairytale monsters. How I would have loved to wander such a place as a child. And the child in me would love to wander there even now + my camera!

More shots of this place please!

High Desert Diva said...

Cool shots.

Your posts become more poetic daily.

A pleasure...

LuluRedstar/Lauri Evans said...

Ms. Nut...I am loving your photographs and poetry. You are definitely gifted. I can't wait to see/read more!

ox lulu

Utah Grammie said...

I see things in the clouds, and I certainly saw things in your woods! The last one looks like a doggie to me - love that you saw, snapped and shared! Keep it up!
Colleen

Roses and Lilacs said...

Hi Sharon, I love your new header photo! Absolutely perfect.

I saw a two headed sheep and a camel:) They are kind of sinister looking. "Calling Stephen King..." Inspiration for a new book.

I was playing that same game with clouds last Friday.

Did I mention, I love your header photo.
Marnie

Sandra Ree said...

I've never seen the likes of that before! So interesting! Wildcat Den State Park, huh? Sounds like a future road to me! :)

Shab-n-Chic said...

Love it..thanks for sharing those pics!

Rosebud Collection said...

What wonderful pictures..Today I was chasing a cricket around, trying to make him pose..The trees really are beautiful, my cricket can't come up to them..