Sunday, July 20, 2008

On Safari






As dawn poked at us through the bedroom window this morning, Scratchy and I decided to go on safari. I took the camera and we headed for one of my favorite haunts, Wildcat Den State Park. Loved it as a child, I could imagine great cave beasts lurking in shadow, with curled, drooling lips with rows of razor-sharp, flesh-eating teeth, waiting for my little brother to walk by...dragging him screaming and kicking to the woods, begging for mercy never to be seen again by another human being, EVER...OK, I'm getting way too into this...that's another story.

As Scratch and I wondered the meadow filled with giant red oaks, it became apparent that WE were being stalked, wild creatures of this primal, steaming forest, eyes glued to our every move, hiding in their shadowy forest cloaks...I am ready for you big fellas...and I am armed with my trusty Canon Power Shot A530...be afraid, you are about to be Canonized and not into sainthood Bucko...

Tell me what you see, creatures of this musky, damp forest...lurking, red eyes turned skyward, statuesque, pretending not to see, but I know you're there, I have the sight. Where are you cave bear, where are you buffalo, camel and rhino, the giant wild hog and gentle deer.

I have seen you
in shadow
my trophy friends.