Monday, July 21, 2008

Out of Beauty Comes Chaos




5:00 this morning I was awakened to the sound of something hitting the side of my house, like a giant broom jolting me into reality, the front line winds of a massive dangerous thunderstorm. Then the lightning and the thunder and the winds...winds clocked at 92 miles an hour shoving everything in it's path. The storm sirens never went off, but I was prepared to run to the basement if need be, unfortunately, in this ol' house you have to go to the outside to get there...NOT. This was a biggy and took nearly an hour to pass, but when it did, I was again amazed at the destruction to my trees. I am surrounded by huge Chinese elms, 4 ft. in diameter and normally if expecting a storm I don't park under it...well, so much for that idea, my truck looked like a shrub, but not one of the huge limbs actually hit it. Our city didn't fare so well either, power was out for hours and trees and limbs down all over.

I talked to Barb at Sisters' and she thinks a tornado went through there too. The huge old tree along the side of the store is now on the roof, many other trees down and a very heavy oak and glass antique counter was blown right off the back porch at Bloom and took the railing with it, all in a million pieces scattered too the winds.

When they say it sounds like a train, it's the truth...I heard it and it makes you crazy not knowing what to do next. As my little pink house shimmied in the winds, I thank the powers of the universe for sparing me and my little dog.