Saturday, September 13, 2008

Beauty Rests...Shadow Shot Sunday







We mourn the loss of color
as burnt umbers and rusts
blanket our garden.
New colors of autumn
give us brief respite
till North winds rule the land,
a land in shadow
and death.

Gardens in neglect,
grey skeletons nod
as seasons draw near.
Little rain, too much rain,
pestilence in many forms
devour remains,
storing energies
for life's new journey.
Crisp remnants stand sentinel
marking boundaries for future plays.

Great spiders weave webs
and guard new generations
of infant terrorists
that keep me from
my labors...Ha,
you little creature,
you make my skin crawl
as your worth I know,
but cannot adhere,
beauty with toxic undertones.
You have the power to eat me alive~
in my mind...eewww...

But, all I can do is wait,
knowing the coming lament
for days long past,
as each day closes
nearer to the death
I already long for spring.
This is life in the North,
the changing of the guard,
deep breaths taken
as events unfold in our journey
to the fond memories of warmth.
Oh brilliant sun, where have you gone,
forsaken to warmer climes~
we sleep...and dream.

This is the long time,
when time stands still
nothing moves, nothing lives
only raw beauty
trapped in the power of the deep, frozen sleep.
I do not like winter,
have never relished her charms.

As my garden transforms
writing her new mystery,
a novel of 'plants gone wild'
I wonder where each new friend
will peak out of it's sleep
into new fields of brilliance
harboring spring~
ah spring,
land of my dreams,
you are my true soul sister~
I rest in your arms
and wait.

Here we are again...check out Hey Harriet for the rest of the artists and our concepts of shadow. Be brave, join the group and feel free to leave comments.

18 comments:

Sandra Ree said...

Oh my Sharon, Ms. Spider is very much like the Ms. Spider we have hanging around our shop. Maybe they're related? lol Love all your shadow shots, the butterfly is beautiful. Your words are always so lovely and thought provoking. A very happy Sunday to you! :)

Paz said...

As usual, lovely photos and lovely words to go with it. Lovely!

Paz

The Summer Kitchen Interiors said...

Great SSS! Fall is one of our favorite times of the year. I think on of the things we don't like is that the garden does begin to look skeleton-like, we forget about it......really enjoyed your poem!
Sisters is looking so wonderful - can't wait to see more pictures (please???!!!)
Karla & Karrie

Em said...

great shadows this week
:-)

Greyscale Territory said...

"This is the long time" ~ what yearning there is in this comment! All your beautiful images seem to hauntingly swirl around that comment! Such a beautiful, wistful poem.

And in response to your request on my blog, I have emailed you! I too have an idea that may give you a smile!

Hey Harriet said...

What a sweet collection of images and words! I adore all the shades of pink in the photos. Your house is soooo cute! Your unusual mailbox reminded me of Gemma's shadow shot. I'm now feeling the need to own a more interesting mailbox... Have a wonderful Sunday :)

annette said...

Hi Sharon, i love your home, i never get sick of seeing your pink little house with the dreamy gardens, beautiful shots, shadows and spiders and your butterfly and your poetry, always an enjoyable visit here. Happy Sunday to you Sharon. Annette :0)

Rosebud Collection said...

What beautiful pictures, as usual..just great..I am not looking forward to winter either..always gives me a trapped feeling..

High Desert Diva said...

Sharon...a joy to read as usual.

Great shots. Is that Autumn Joy sedum in the butterfly photo?

Lisa B. said...

Oh Sharon! Wonderful shadows, wonderful shots, wonderful poetry! And funny:)

I'm a bit worried for you...I'm thinking we may have to come dig you out of there come January...and get you somewhere warmer! I'd say come here but we'll most likely be in about the same boat as you! lol.

timeworninteriors said...

Such a beautiful mind!
Theothertheresa

paisley said...

that spider is a killer.. i live in the raw and share my space with a lot of nature,, but those things get in and never get out... if you know what i mean..... i just love your photos,, i want to stop and set a spell in every one.....

hey what are the new soap fragrances????

white o'morn cottage said...

a lovely poem Sharon. Thank you...Pam

Roses and Lilacs said...

Your wistful poetry is a perfect match for the end of summer photos. Lovely.
Marnie

Twinkle Star Art said...

Stunning photographs. I love the colours in the first, I imagine you must have fairies hidden in that gorgeous garden. Your poetic words take my breath away :-) Amanda

M.Kate said...

Lots of wonderful shadows...though I'd stay clear of that spider, but I love the butterfly!

Hope you have a great week Sharon :D

hugs, M

Gallery Juana said...

I love how you talk about winter bringing everything back to its raw beauty.

Great shot of the spider and butterfly!

Primitiques 'n Poetry said...

Once again, I find myself melting all over your blog. The music and words just put me into the most comfortable place. Thanks so much. ~Mindy