Monday, September 1, 2008

What's in a Portrait...






Having a portrait of loved ones past, brings memory of the dear departed flooding back into mind, especially when left in the homeland so far across the seas. Small delicate portraits carried off to war, bring some sweet moment of hope to men in battle, hopes of a safe return to the arms of the love. When a child leaves the nest, a Mother or Grandmother rekindles fond memory of those sweet, chubby, cheeked kisses. Portraits of whimsy of a time in history when dreams were fancied and events were immortalized. Such wonderful portraits grace my walls, it doesn't bother me to have portraits of other people's relatives in my home. To me, it's all about the art and the thought. Someone had a vision in these portraits, be it family or the art of the day, it gives me a warm feeling of humanity. Relatives long lost, castaways of an uncaring family, rejecting the past and the history...as old stuff. To me, art, beauty and grace...you may gladly rest here on my walls of vintage gardens.