Tuesday, September 9, 2008

What's in your studio...






Ah...yes, at times I'm so envious when I see the wonderful shots of the other artists studios, neat stacks, full bins, brushes in colorful tins, pencils all in a parade of color guard from light to dark, neat this and neat that...when in reality, it took days to stage the shots. These are the studios of fantasy. Behind the scenes of the working artist, there is mass confusion and chaos. You can't set anything down and remember where you set it...anxious to get on to the next vision, you have starter projects everywhere. AND if you are very lucky, you have an understanding husband that knows he and the kids will, at times, be eating at the alternate table because of the project that has consumed the dinner table.

Well, to enter my studio is easy...you just walk through the front door and VOILAH...'studio'... Anyone who is in the antique biz knows that when you find a bargain, you have to snatch it up now, even if you don't buy groceries for two weeks...it was worth the fast. I also paint for other people, so my living room and parlor is often full waiting for clients to pick-up.

My dreams are of a garage, that never hold a vehicle, but is a workspace filled to the brim with furniture and cans of paint, waiting for delivery to The Candle Shed or Sisters'...now that can be a reality if the economy would just stabilize a little. We Americans love our stuff...and this antique biz has morphed into collectors odd fantasies of doll heads and butter pats...aka Chippys ...well maybe I should mention the odd piece of taxidermy...nuff said. But what fun is this great treasure hunt...my secret (yeah right) is to stow-away to Texas with the crazy gals I have met this year blogging...we can make it all happen...just work a little harder! Plus I need one more day in the week that nobody else gets...HA!