Monday, September 29, 2008

Just a lil' tease...

Ok, now keep in mind this is an all new adventure for me and I want to share with you my first trial and possibly error...but you never know till ya try and I am the kinda person that never takes a lesson, I always have to forge ahead on my own, correcting along the way. But I like the idea of using hand-made items, usually by indigenous peoples, it just seems right to me, it's just too bad they only get pennies to the dollar...hey, don't get me started on the value of the American dollar...someday I may be that tribeswoman sitting by the river makin' beads...the lost civilization of America. Scary huh...but, would it really be all that bad...think of what a great tan I'd have.
These little earrings I call 'yellow bird', made of yellow turquoise from China, the blue clay beads are from Indonesia and the tiny beads, Mali, wrapped in aged copper, I love that lived in look.


Little yellow bird
flights of fancy you long for
freedom yet unseen.


I'm not very good at wrapping the wire yet, but that will come in time, as I piece each bead to the story I wish to convey and as I discover new source for beads, you will follow my trail. I have recycled sea glass coming from Africa, what a tale I will weave of these exotic(in my mind) jewels.


Simple, recycled, primitive...isn't that the way it's always been...through time...


11 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

I curse wire wrapping, too. Love the look you've achieved with the earrings, the card you've hung them from and of course, your writing.

You'll do well...

Utah Grammie said...

I think they're a great success! And about my shower with Braxie, do you make housecalls?? We've had a heck of a time finding a good groomer!!
Colleen

MuseSwings said...

Wire wrapping - aargh - I'm no good at it. Usually people who can make french knots can also figure the wire thing. I do neither. You earbobs are wonderful! I look forward to you next efforts as well. Good job!
Stop over and read yesterday's post - I have an award for you.
Cynthia

The Feathered Nest said...

I LOVE them Sharon!!! They're so wonderfully earthy...perfect!!! I can't wait to see more....where are you selling these handmade baubles?? xxoo, Dawn

white o'morn cottage said...

Fabulous! I'm delighted you have branched out into a new craft. They look so well on the tag too. My sister, Teeda, is beading mad, you can find her on my sidebar - Beadiva.
You are a font of talent and skills...Hey! do you have more hours in your day than me? :-)

Roses and Lilacs said...

Those are neat. I was just wondering about some of your poetry on the cards.

Recently, I was looking at some Celtic crosses with legends printed on the cards. Very interesting.
Marnie

cconz said...

sharon, i love your little body trinkets. i agree, you should add poetry to your jewlery. i have a friend that worked at von maur in iowa city, in the crystal, silver home decoration department. They had a very cool crystal candleholder that was selling SO-SO, and she wrote a little poem and sold it with the candle and it went thru the roof. the candle company called and asked "What's going on"?

Hey Harriet said...

Great idea! What you've created is lovely. Thoughtful, positive & lovely! This is a perfect new venture for the caring creative soul that you are!

trash talk said...

I love the earbobs, but I especially like your presentation. Debbie

Greyscale Territory said...

I have never tried to make earrings, but I can imagine I would be frustrated with the wire wrapping too!

But your sources fascinate me too! How do you know where you can get this stuff?

Your presentation is brilliant! Unique! And I agree with others before me, some of your poetry should be there too!

Shab-n-Chic said...

Love the earrings, although I don't have pierced ears. The card is super! :)