Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ahhhh Iowa...






As I was travelin' to Sister's last week, I came face to face with the beginning of the grand parade...tractor after tractor and they just kept coming...never any end in sight. I'm just glad I was heading in the opposite direction as I could see the anger in the eyes of the cars trying to go around. But the look in the eyes of the mostly older farmers driving them was priceless. Always willing to give a wave and a howdy, friendly ol' down to earth farmers all going to a special rendezvous, of what, I have no clue...just a grand caravan of machines chugging along displaying age and stages of restoration and good ol' Iowa pride in the ride.

That's what I love about the back roads in Iowa, especially if you drive a truck, all the farmers wave at ya'. Must be some sort of a signal that you are accepted into the working class, male or female...you're a member of a hard workin team tryin' to make a living in the country in a world of many woes. Watching your neighbors farms being sold off to developers as children head off to the cities for jobs, forsaking the family homestead for better paying work...where did we go so wrong. Why do we need so much...we never have enough time...always on the go.

Well for me, I try to take that special me time with hot cup o joe, sittin' on my porch, surveying this great state and the beautiful sunsets the universe bestows on this country girl...and don't forget me Mom...Scratchy.