Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ahhhh Iowa...






As I was travelin' to Sister's last week, I came face to face with the beginning of the grand parade...tractor after tractor and they just kept coming...never any end in sight. I'm just glad I was heading in the opposite direction as I could see the anger in the eyes of the cars trying to go around. But the look in the eyes of the mostly older farmers driving them was priceless. Always willing to give a wave and a howdy, friendly ol' down to earth farmers all going to a special rendezvous, of what, I have no clue...just a grand caravan of machines chugging along displaying age and stages of restoration and good ol' Iowa pride in the ride.

That's what I love about the back roads in Iowa, especially if you drive a truck, all the farmers wave at ya'. Must be some sort of a signal that you are accepted into the working class, male or female...you're a member of a hard workin team tryin' to make a living in the country in a world of many woes. Watching your neighbors farms being sold off to developers as children head off to the cities for jobs, forsaking the family homestead for better paying work...where did we go so wrong. Why do we need so much...we never have enough time...always on the go.

Well for me, I try to take that special me time with hot cup o joe, sittin' on my porch, surveying this great state and the beautiful sunsets the universe bestows on this country girl...and don't forget me Mom...Scratchy.

8 comments:

Greyscale Territory said...

Smiling here! What a post! I adore the fact there is a whole parade of tractors and you have no idea why! That would be me! Just enjoying the sight!

But I must admit, I love the pic of the buggy! That rang a few bells for me! I used to live in Camden south of Sydney, NSW. We used to have a parade of Camden's beginnings on Australia Day and out came all the old autos, buggies, milk wagon, baker's wagon and a fire truck! (To name a few!) But my favourite was always the buggy! It looked so romantic!

High Desert Diva said...

I lived on a farm for a couple years when I was a teenager. The neighboring farmers all had their own special wave. One old coot would raise just his pointer finger, one held up his entire hand in still salute, one always drove with his left arm out the widow and would raise that hand when passing. I don't remember anyone actually waving their hand....

Anyway...thanks for the post to make me remember that.

Btw, I picked up a book at the library yesterday titled The Pink Farmhouse. I'll let you know if it is any good :-)

Roses and Lilacs said...

Good morning Sharon. Our local highschool has a tractor parade every year. All the kids drive Dad's tractor to school and parade thru town.
Marnie

white o'morn cottage said...

Those photos really show Iowa just as I imagined it! Big, open spaces, farming area and beautiful to look at. I see it as snowy and windy all winter, I imagine people snuggled up to big log fires crafting. It's probably from films I got these impressions. Am I far off?

Shayla said...

I saw your avatar on Mary Kate's blog and had to come for a visit. I've dreamt about a lovely, pink house like that, and am so glad to see it's not just in my imagination. Very pleased to meet the owner too. You sound like a woman with her priorities in order: sunset watching beats aquiring more stuff anytime.

summersundays-jw said...

It's always been amazing to me how the Amish & Mennonites seem to do so well with making it on the farm. Seems in our neck of the woods they're buying more farmland rather then selling it. We were amazed at their farms in the villages of VanBuren in Iowa. There's a lot to living simple. Loved the tractors. I'll always think of this when I have to follow one down the road & want to honk. Jan

M.Kate said...

Hello Sharon, I hardly see tractors here, maybe its because we live in the city. I was commenting on another blogger place, I am looking at farm animals at her blog, we dont see them anywhere in the town, just some dogs, cats or rabbits..that's all. Love the last picture of the sky. hope you are keeping well...still on a break, hoping to somewhere this weekend for the continued break :D

Leedra said...

Love the last 2 photos.

Thank you for visiting.