Saturday, August 9, 2008

Can you see what I see...






The front of the the cottage is just crying for a little bit of fence and I think the rusty curly top cottage fence (seen at Sisters'), is the perfect fence to corral my vast sea of prairie grasses. Having six acres of the untamed stuff, I'm a bit of an oddity in the neighborhood...OK...the universe. Why would I want to tame such beauty and conform to the whims of man and THE LAWN MOWER...however, I do mow just around my house, with a human powered rotary mower...no gas, to keep Scratchy's feet dryer(whatever)and as a grass-fire preventative. But on the whole, the grasses are flowing waves of prairie, that I relish watching in a wind storm and I love to watch Scratchy bounding like a fox after the stray vermin that wonder at it's base, tunneling through and driving her crazy...but like a kid with playdough, she is occupied for hours so I can work pulling stray seedlings of trees and weeds, to groom it to the less than appreciative, whining eyes.

If more would embrace the idea of less mowing, zero-scaping their lawns back to the natural...maybe our beautiful blue planet would not be going through the throws of a toxic wasteland...Chemlawn would be in decline, the bees would come back, the sounds of many lost species would still exist and we would be sitting on our front porches, in our thinkin' chairs, pondering a life safe from the pollution of the Monsantos of the world, dreaming of our children and Grandchildren having a safe, beautiful environment to raise their own dreams.

What do ya' think...can you see what I see...

9 comments:

greavesdesign said...

Sharon, Thanks for leaving the nice comment... I feel so fortunate to have had a 'tour' of your dreamy property! A pink house, how great is that?
hope to check back soon,
Carol

white o'morn cottage said...

I think it looks lovely...just like my field! Don't interfere with nature, that's what I say!

LuluRedstar/Lauri Evans said...

Now that's my kinda yard...I don't have a 'pretty yard' since we moved out here...just some meadow grass dotted with white daisies and a lot of dandelions!
Is that owl real?
thanks for sharin' sharon
xo lulu

cconz said...

Yes, Yes, i can see what you see! No lawn chemicals, who needs a picture perfect lawn. This year i have seen more swallowtails and monarchs, more frogs,toads, abound. Because i use no chemicals. There are enough flowers to go around. bad and good bugs can feast.Your place is pretty special sharon, i'll bet the little critters love it. Alittle piece of heaven.

Sweet Repose said...

Just wait till the highway opens up Cath...we'll all get a bird's eye view of the C.Conz unpolluted paradise and yes, the butterfies are in abundance and bigger than I can ever remember. A true joy to walk among them.

sharon

Hey Harriet said...

What a lovely spot you live in! I adore your pink house! It bugs me that people still continue to use chemicals on their lawns. It's so wrong! Great post & I love your way of thinking!

Utah Grammie said...

I love you fields - I love what your see - your view is spectaculat - do not change a thing..well, except the little fence that you want...
It reminds me of what I read about Leo Buscaglia - he said he love the fall leaves and hated to rake them up - he thought they looked like God's carpet but his neighbors scoffed - so he raked them up & spread them around his front room!

Greyscale Territory said...

Your little piece of the world seems all about living with nature, not in competition. I simply love it all!

Leave those prairie grasses their freedom! They must be quite a soothing sight blowing in the wind!

High Desert Diva said...

I'm with ya!