Saturday, August 9, 2008

Can you see what I see...






The front of the the cottage is just crying for a little bit of fence and I think the rusty curly top cottage fence (seen at Sisters'), is the perfect fence to corral my vast sea of prairie grasses. Having six acres of the untamed stuff, I'm a bit of an oddity in the neighborhood...OK...the universe. Why would I want to tame such beauty and conform to the whims of man and THE LAWN MOWER...however, I do mow just around my house, with a human powered rotary mower...no gas, to keep Scratchy's feet dryer(whatever)and as a grass-fire preventative. But on the whole, the grasses are flowing waves of prairie, that I relish watching in a wind storm and I love to watch Scratchy bounding like a fox after the stray vermin that wonder at it's base, tunneling through and driving her crazy...but like a kid with playdough, she is occupied for hours so I can work pulling stray seedlings of trees and weeds, to groom it to the less than appreciative, whining eyes.

If more would embrace the idea of less mowing, zero-scaping their lawns back to the natural...maybe our beautiful blue planet would not be going through the throws of a toxic wasteland...Chemlawn would be in decline, the bees would come back, the sounds of many lost species would still exist and we would be sitting on our front porches, in our thinkin' chairs, pondering a life safe from the pollution of the Monsantos of the world, dreaming of our children and Grandchildren having a safe, beautiful environment to raise their own dreams.

What do ya' think...can you see what I see...