Saturday, August 23, 2008

A little Iowa Corn Anyone...






Right...I couldn't believe my eyes as Vikki and I passed this street sign on the way to Anamosa yesterday, so natch, I had to share with my more sophisticated friends...well anyway, the ones that appreciate a good laugh when they see it. You never know what will pop up among the corn rows do ya...HA!

We also saw these wonderful old quarry stone buildings, their purpose is unknown to us, but their beauty and antiquity was worthy of noting. This area was heavily damaged by the floods this year and the main highway into town was just recently opened. You can't imagine just how high the river got in this old, historic Iowa town. But they have a charming and thriving downtown, one worth visiting again.

8 comments:

Greyscale Territory said...

Love the sign! I'd be taking a pic of it too! But I find even funnier is there appears to be no clear road? Grass?

Like you, I love old buildings! Especially empty ones spook and fascinate me!

Utah Grammie said...

The buildings are beautiful - oh if only walls could talk! I bet they'd share some great memories, work, people, maybe even parties?
Have a great week-end!
Colleen

paisley said...

girl, there is a street names "shitkicker road" in marianna florida... i kid you not..

Shab-n-Chic said...

Dingleberry...heeheehee. The scenery reminds me of my Grandfather's old farm in South Dakota. 65 acres of corn and cows...great childhood memories. I remember him having an old dried out corncob on the end of a stick and it was his back scratcher. Ha!

Sandra Ree said...

The sign made me laugh, I haven't see that word in a long time!

I've never been to Iowa. Your pictures are wonderful, I love stone buildings!

summersundays-jw said...

I love the old buildings & I'm checking it out. My sisters & I love to antique in Iowa & we love to take a girls weekend in Bonaparte & stay in the old glove factory. Great antiqueing! Don't tell anyone. We also like to go to "The Sisters" in Kalona. We have a shop in Ozark Mo. (Leola's).

summersundays-jw said...

I would love it if you added my link to your blog. Also, check our shop out at http://leolasantiques.com/. And someone from Sisters was in a couple of mths. ago but unfortunately I wasn't working that day. We've sent several people to see "Sisters" when we knew they were coming your way. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Hey Harriet said...

Iowa looks like a charming place. Even with the wacky signage :D