Sunday, August 24, 2008

Shadow shot Sunday--Oh, Loud Thunder




Your forest shadow echos in my heart
of a day in my youth when I walked your
depths before the waters came.
Once lush canopy hovered majestic
over deer trail and human path
turning an adventurous child
into a Native American legend.
We could run as 'wild Indians'
and no one was offended by a word.
In youth there is no prejudice
only a moment to run free into history.
To run and jump high with the wind
to soar with the eagle.

The scars of humanity fence you in now
only by boat can I get to your trail.
But your beauty remains steady
in an uncertain world.
Shadow on shadows
beauty and nought
I write with tears in my heart
secretly knowing the future
knowing what is my fate
knowing what is yours.
Your great green mounds
whisper the secret to my being
I will always walk your path
in beauty
I will always walk your path
in beauty
It is finished.