Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Milestones...


There are milestones in life we all reach at certain points, today my beautiful daughter Piper is forty. This is a big one for Piper, my hope for her is a smooth transition into midlife. No longer the child, into the stage women become aware of their own meaning in the circle. Her son Jerid, soon to be 21 is out of the nest and out of town, on his own discovering new horizons. But the last seven years have been a test for Piper on life's lessons and endurance in a world not so secure and full of tragedy on so many levels. A year ago this month Piper lost her wonderful husband Matt, to cancer, a widow at such a fragile age. I have watched Piper grow from rebellious youth to a beautiful caring spirit, enduring what life has dealt her as best as she could, a frightening scenario for one so young.


But Piper is moving forward with her life, her candle biz is flourishing and BOY, she is gonna chastise me for publishing this picture of her, but TOO BAD!!! A Mother's love is all consuming, you want to share it with the world, she sees no flaw when it comes to her child. A Mother is proud of her child's accomplishments and feels every ounce of their pain, they go not alone into some of their worst nightmares, as we share every painful step.


As you can see she is knee-deep in the middle of 'the sweatshop', pouring candles...it never ends. She is fortunate to have the shop to keep her focused when times were tough and this last year was a testimony to her balance. But for me, I will always remember those bouncing flaxen curls and those oh so kissable lips. Her fear of storms had constantly kept me on guard and still to this day I wonder how she is as a thunderstorm rumbles through. An asthmatic, one little cough set me into a frenzy of calling in the guard to help with the next weeks battle with the disease. Allergies to mosquito bites and cats and dogs and foods and milk and wool and dust and pollen...a list too long for a young Mother to comprehend. But we made it through, stitches and all and I am so proud of her...for being her.


So HAPPY BIRTHDAY...sweet daughter and always remember I LOVE YOU!!! In whatever choices you make I support you 101 %.


Love Ma...and Scratchy