Friday, August 1, 2008

Simple Neccessities



Now, when one lives in a comfy, hundred year old farmhouse, there are certain amenities that one must acquire...I bought this old house, with the notion that I was just going to leave it as is, the bones anyway. Discovering certain treasures such as the 30's wallpaper (behind cheesy paneling) and hardwood floors (under gold shag carpets)...what a bonus. You can roll a marble from one side to the other and it never stops. It has great creaks going up the steps, to which any teenager sneaking in at night would abhor. The windows are all slightly tilted and getting worse because of the continual semi traffic 'out the back door' and my newel post creeps toward 'the front door', yet sturdy still, I'm wondering if it's the steps moving to the back door. My roof had a certain sway, like an old horse set to pasture, but the new metal roof hid that from critical eyes. But, as we had a shop in the house, city ordinance forced us to do things a little differently, like new electric on the outside of the walls, conduit running up and around, satisfying their testosterone levels, but making my old home look like poo (I use the term lightly), but now painted, I think it kinda looks like old gas lines that used to feed their only light source back in the day.


But there is one feature that has needed a slight adjustment...no upstairs bathroom...so on one of my antiquing forays...I found the perfect solution...vintage potty chair...now any of you that are of my delicate age group... know that one simple flight of stairs, first thing in the morning, is not going to allow for a graceful beginning to any day, let alone a purdy picture to behold. So the potty chair, placed a safe distance from the bed (5 feet)-(stand up, turn around and sit down), will save a stressful, dangerous RUN to the downstairs loo.


May be a little podunk fer some, but if it was good enough fer Granny, it's good enough fer me and bucket easily removes and drains to the REAL loo. But the way I look at, I don't have to walk to the outhouse on a freezin' cold night and the piece is of significant artistic value...more than you know!!!