Thursday, August 21, 2008

Gentle Rains






A brief respite from the heat,
gentle summer rains
brighten vintage patina
giving temporary false view
of what must have been.
No matter
my taste is rust
my taste is rustic.
Bends and dings
chips and wears
a kinder reality of
earthly age.
Untended gardens succumb
to a thirst not given
prairie perennials
set seed for new shelter
of soon to succumb leaf fall.
Ruby and gilded
shards of oak and maple
float downward
blanketing the nursery
of next years brood
and wee shelters
long vacant...wait,
wait for the still
wait for the silence.

8 comments:

timeworninteriors said...

I love rust and rustic also!
We need rain so bad. All of our grass is brown and the corn in the field across the road is curled up.
Keep the poetry coming is feds my soul, sister!
Theothertheresa

High Desert Diva said...

Nice post!

Lady Jane Vintage said...

OK...WHY ARE YOU NOT PUBLISHED?! Or......Are you???:) Jen

Utah Grammie said...

beautiful images, beautiful words AND beautiful music - what more could we ask for? Thank you for giving to us...
Colleen

Greyscale Territory said...

Rich and rustic rusts are like an exotic breath through this poem!

So beautiful!

Roses and Lilacs said...

I love your garden ornaments. They look like they have lived in that garden forever. Part practical, part whimsical.

Send some rain east.
Marnie

A Cuban In London said...

You know what? I was reading your poem whilst listening to Paquito D' Rivera and suddenly I have stopped hating this rainy weather that summer has brought us this year in London.

Beautiful words indeed.

Greetings from London.

Jeques said...

I like the poetic expressions you put on this piece, Sharon. So rich and glossy, the imagery jumps out of the page like embossed words fully expressing your thoughts, your heart taking me by the hand to your enchanting world of poetry.

I wish you well.

~ Jeques